Author Topic: Solstice Camp out at Baker Lake 6-21 through 6-22  (Read 935 times)

truckersmike

• Events Committee Chairman
Solstice Camp out at Baker Lake 6-21 through 6-22
« on: June 11, 2014, 08:27:47 PM »
Last solstice, Chris and I camped at Canyon Lake Community Forest and it was a blast. This year I would like to try an even more picturesque location near Baker Lake. Imagine camping on a ledge overlooking Baker Lake with unobstructed views of Mt Baker and Skuksan while enjoying the longest day of the year with no rules. Dogs can run free, no noise complaints, good cheer and beautiful views of our backyard and that's what you get.

The little area I found can hold 5-6 vehicles easily with possible flat tent camping spots. This weekend, I need to do a little scouting to make sure that it's below the snow level but with prospective temps in the 80's next week. I'm hoping this won't be an issue.

Directions are fairly easy. Take HWY 20 to Baker Lake Road. Turn right at the damn turn-off then follow the forest road up up up. Eventually on your left, there will be a short steep road that leads to this hidden gem. I'll be sure to leave a marker to identify the location. The road up is a bit rough but any stock height bug, bus or Vanagon should do fine. I wouldn't trust it with my Passat though.

Chris, feel free to pass this onto the WW regulars to see if they are interested.

Any questions, just PM me.

truckersmike

Re: Solstice Camp out at Baker Lake 6-21 through 6-22
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 04:46:50 PM »
Just got back from scouting the area and of course snow starts to show up just before the turn off. It was too deep for the car but apparently a suburban plowed through just before I arrived. Thinking I was near the proposed camp site, I decided to walk up the road and sure enough, about 1/8 mile up was the turn off. Figures there was no snow at the camp site though the road keeps climbing. After studying the conditions, I've decided that with some shoveling (and continued melting) that the road will be passable.

The first patch in the photo is the big one. After that, things get much easier so I'm going to say that this location will still work. This means i need to get up there early Friday to claim the spot and start shovelin' snow.

View from last summer

The big snow patch.

If for some reason I fail or the spot gets claimed, there are a few other options in the area (though not as good). I will have a sign at the turn-off so it's easy to find. And I calculated from the damn, the proposed camp site is 8 miles up the road.

Wigglinni

• Associate Member
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 01:49:52 PM »
Any word about this trip? You there or home? I'm headed out Sunday morning somewhere, may check it out!

truckersmike

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 10:12:16 AM »
This is what you missed.

[/img]