Author Topic: Bug Blitz Post-Mortem  (Read 1593 times)

Grumblecakes

• President
Bug Blitz Post-Mortem
« on: September 22, 2013, 01:35:16 AM »
Many, many things went right yesterday.  (Let's start with the weather!)  But, as they say, no battle plan survives contact with the enemy - and while I tried to organize everything to the nth degree, it didn't take much to throw the whole thing sideways and set us back on our heels. 

So - what worked, what didn't, what was unexpected, and what was predictable yet overlooked?
Cheers,

Randy

KarmannBob

• Vice President
Re: Bug Blitz Post-Mortem
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 05:22:44 AM »
Randy I thought your planning and preparation was top notch and professional, as good or better than ANY show I've ever been to. I think the layout for the show was fantastic, and the use of radios for team members was brilliant along with the method of parking assistants.

A couple ideas for future would be 1) Signs at ticket booths 2) Signs to restrooms, or more visible port-a-potties 3) Signs to swap meet 4) Re-evaluation of generator power supply to vendors. Although the equipment looked like it was really adequate, there seemed to be a couple problems. 5) More local saturation of promotion (not sure through which medias), Chrissy and I both ran into people who commented that that their being there was purely accidental by just driving by, and that they "had wished that they had known..."

All in all though, it was a great event and I think everyone there had a great time. Thanks to you Randy for your top notch leadership!
'71 Ghia

'57 pg/sg standard bus

79 vert

• Associate Member
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 12:18:22 PM »
Randy,
          Amazing event, first time out of the gate and a winner.Though as you know nothing is perfect,a couple thoughts,either  have some large sighns showing people how to get to the swap meet or have the swap meet in the same lot, which I'm for so everyone is a part of the show and not lepers shoved out back. The other thought is to clearly lable what car is in what category there are many people who don't the differ'nt years and typs of Volkswagens. All in all a great job Randy an amazing one man show.
                                                  Mike

joe56vw

• Associate Member
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 10:28:41 PM »
before I comment I would like to say none of this is meant to be mean or sound like a jerk
I understand what goes into putting on a show I know it's a lot of work and a lot of bs to deal with

but I think putting the swappers out in no mans land was a big mistake. it seemed like there wasn't much telling people where the swap area was or that it was even going on

I know you handed out lots of flyer at shows but I think you could of done better on website promoting
the thread for this show on the samba wasn't even started until a week or so before the show
more pnw people visit that site then all the local forums together next year the samba thread should be started at least a month ahead of time and updated every few days

also think that the date was bad timing with Yakima the weekend before I am sure a lot of people were burn out from that
maybe next time it can be at the end of august instead? better chance of good wheather and less events that month

like I said not trying to be a jerk just giving some helping advice

Grumblecakes

• President
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 10:37:15 PM »
also think that the date was bad timing with Yakima the weekend before I am sure a lot of people were burn out from that
maybe next time it can be at the end of august instead?

For the record, Bug Blitz was placed on thesamba calendar in August 2012.  Yakima added their show to the calendar in April or May, 2013.
Cheers,

Randy

Grumblecakes

• President
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 04:35:15 PM »
So, with tax season upon us I was forced to re-visit the Bug Blitz books.  Here are the highlights:

The total cost of the show was just North of $12,000.  (advertising alone was $4800)
To pay for this:
Roughly $7K came out of my pocket
$2K came from the tourism grant
~$550 in Vendor Registrations
~$2K in ticket sales
and the rest was from sponsor donations

I traveled 1,350 miles to promote the show, attending 7 shows in Washington and Canada

Cheers,

Randy

FiremarshalBill

• Associate Member
    • A.C. Aircraft Company
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 05:09:08 PM »
Randy, we ALL appreciate your efforts with the Bug Blitz!  :)  I'm sure you've been asked before, but would you do it again?
FiremarshalBill
1970 Karmann Ghia Convertible